1. British Guiana 1 Cent Magenta- 1856, alleged to be the rarest stamp ever to be. These were limited to begin with, but now appears that there may only be one left in existence.
2. Treskilling Yellow- Issued in 1855, this stamp won the record for the highest paid price for a stamp in 1996. This one was one of the first of five postage stamps released in Sweden, this yellow stamp was actually meant to be green.
3. Post Office Mauritius (Blue Penny/Red Penny)- 1847, issued in Ireland and Britain. The stamp was supposed to say "post paid", but instead said "post office". Only 26 are still around now.
4. Inverted Airmail (The Inverted Jenny)- 1918, perhaps the most famous US error in stamps. The picture of a Curtiss JN-4 plane was accidentally printed upside down.
5. Perot Provisional Stamps- 1848, one of the first stamps of Bermuda. It's face value at only one penny, there are only 11 left in the world. One of which was said to be owned by Queen Elizabeth. This stamp was named after it's printer William Perot.
6. Hawaiian Missionary stamps- From 1851, these stamps were brought to Hawaii by American missionaries (if the title wasn't enough). The first to be released in Hawaii and seeing how there are very few left, I'd say this qualifies for spot #6. The three units were for 2-cents, 5-cents, and 13-cents.
7. Inverted Airmail (The Inverted Jenny)- 1918, perhaps the most famous US error in stamps. The picture of a Curtiss JN-4 plane was accidentally printed upside down.
8. Inverted Swan- Released in 1855, this Australian stamp was printed with the upside down picture of a swan. Only 15 in mint condition are still around today.
9. Penny Blue Stamps- First issued in 1840, this British stamp lacked the name of it's own country. It was one of the first stamps in history ever to be released. Well, you can't win 'em all.
10. Benjamin Franklin Z-Grill stamp- Issued in 1868 in the US. only two exist in the world.
Photo Credits: peretzpup
Originally posted 2010-08-10 03:43:15.This post involves:
american missionaries, australian stamps, british guiana, curtiss jn, inverted jenny, perot, postage stamps, Queen Elizabeth, rare stamps, stamp collecting, stamp collectors, treskilling yellow... and focuses on:
Next: Where to List Stamp Collections for Sale Online